Health, Wellness, and Your Child
When I began the health and wellness journey with my children 19 years ago, my belief about my body and what I put in it was tainted by the world. I saw my body as an entity that needed to be filled when it was hungry, that needed to be satisfied by the delights that it craved and I saw the food that the world provided as gratification and substance for my existence. I was sure that pop tarts and coca-cola were sent from heaven and that hopefully God would have these things in heaven when I die because they made me feel so good and I surely wouldn’t want to live without them there. After all, I’m Baptist, and we love our food at all our functions!
It’s funny how surrender and the sanctification process of Christianity changes things. It’s not always pleasant, or popular, but when it happens and you reap rewards that are of eternal value, you really don’t want to go back no matter how good those Little Debbie’s look as I pass their end cap at Kroger! Every week!!! (No temptation has seized me except that which is common to man. And when I am tempted he will provide a way out…) It’s a long, narrow, journey, but the wide road really does lead to destruction (stiff joints from arthritis for me)!!
The gratification of the flesh leads to more, more, more, feed me, feed me, feed me. The nourishment of the body through the foods that the Lord has provided us curbs the crave with fulfillment, and blesses the body with rich nutrients that contain vitamins and minerals. With those things come health and faster healing from the illnesses that we are subjected to in this fallen world full of bacteria and viruses.
Science has discovered that the endorphins that are given out by the foods that contain sugar, salt, and fat are so strong that they can form strongholds in our lives that keep us coming back for more. In fact, food companies study which ones trigger you and they make sure to keep you coming back. They don’t lie about it. It’s on the ingredient listing. The pleasure that it brings pays out millions of dollars to the food companies that produce these products and millions of dollars in medical bills to Dr.’s who treat patients who refuse to take care of their temple.
So what is an example of a stronghold that we might have in our life right now that is food related and how can the Lord help us to overcome? Let’s say it’s candy bars at night after dinner in front of the TV. No, let’s say Little Debbie’s (that sounds more tempting to me). Maybe they have become a stronghold in our life. If we want to get released from this stronghold we would have to look behind the Little Debbie’s and see what emotion we are feeling before we go and eat the sweet. Let’s say it is loneliness. Our mind tells us that because we feel lonely that we have to make ourself feel better. We begin to lie to ourself saying that “we deserve to feel better when this emotion hits us” It has become more and more severe because now it is taking two packages to make us feel better (which is actually four Little Debbie’s, because we all know they come in those cute little twin packs!!) So, Step number #1 to break this stronghold is to replace this junk food immediately with real food. Some fruit will suffice and we will be adding hundreds of nutrients and vitamins to our bodies. If we choose berries, we are preventing future cancer cells from growing in our bodies. Step #2 is to figure out why we are lonely? Step #3 is to Let the Lord heal our loneliness with His Truth. Get into the Word of God. Step #4 is to receive the provision that the Lord has given us for our loneliness – a volunteer position, a new friend, a Bible study, Comfort from his Word if it’s late at night, etc. Sounds easy enough, but the truth is, it’s tough. With the Lord though, all things are possible and a blessing awaits when we follow through.
Let’s dig deeper into the Word to learn God’s Truth about nutrition, health and wellness. As well, we will talk about some practical ways we can eat better at home.
WHERE AND WHY OUR FOOD ORIGINATED:
- In Genesis 1:29 God said, “See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food.” Then, we sinned and the earth was cursed. Making it difficult to work the land for food to eat. Genesis 3:17-19 says, “Then to Adam He said, “Because you have heeded the voice of your wife, and have eaten from the tree of which I commanded you, saying, ‘you shall not eat of it: “cursed is the ground for your sake; In toil you shall eat of it All the days of your life. Both thorns and thistles it shall bring forth for you, And you shall eat the herb of the field. In the sweat of your face you shall eat bread Till you return to the ground, For out of it you were taken; For dust you are, And to dust you shall return.”
- Then, the World continued in sin and became wicked. Noah and his family were the only righteous people left. After the flood, God added some meat to our diet. Genesis 9:3 says, “Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. I have given you all things, even as the green herbs. But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.”
- Later,God chose the Jewish people to bring out of captivity and a generation that would be set apart and he gave them laws to follow that included every aspect of their lives, including dietary laws and health laws for them to follow that would keep them strong, healthy, successful and set apart from other people groups. Exodus 20- 24 – Laws for living (including 10 commandment)Leviticus 11:1-46 Dietary laws – Clean and unclean animalsLeviticus 12, 13, 14, 15 Health laws (By the way, because America was established as a Christian nation, you will see these laws written into the law books of our government, hanging up and around Washington DC, and it’s how our culture basically governed itself until recently)
WHAT IS THE LAW FOR?
- To show us what sin is!
WHO ARE WE IN CHRIST?
- 2 Corinthians 5:17 – We are new creations in Him.
- John 3:16 – We are saved from the penalty of sin by grace.
WHAT WERE WE CREATED FOR?
- To love God, self, and others (healthy relationships)
- To bear fruit (serve God and others with out gifts/talents, to have the fruit of the spirit in our lives, etc.to make him known to others)
- To glorify Him by how we live our lives!
After Christ died, how did it impact God’s laws and the the followers who were non-Jewish?
- Jesus fulfilled the law – Matthew 5:17 Don’t misunderstand why I have come. I did not come to abolish the law of Moses or the writings of the prophets. No, I came to accomplish their purpose.
- We are not to forget the law – Romans 3:31 Well then, if we emphasize faith, does this mean that we can forget about the law? Of course not! In fact, only when we have faith do we truly fulfill the law.
- It became written in the hearts of the Gentiles – Romans 2:14-15 Even Gentiles, who do not have God’s written law, show that they know his law when they instinctively obey it, even without having heard it. 15 They demonstrate that God’s law is written in their hearts, for their own conscience and thoughts either accuse them or tell them they are doing right.
- Jesus did not change the dietary laws of God (many times vs. 14-23 are taken out of context. You must read from the beginning of the chapter to understand what Jesus was saying)- Mark 7:1-23 What goes into the body can not make a man unclean in his heart. It’s what comes out of his heart that makes him clean or unclean. The traditions of man have nothing to do with salvation, but Jesus did not dispute or change the laws that God gave.
Are we condemned as Gentiles for not celebrating the Jewish holidays or eating like the Jewish people?
- We are not condemned by what we eat or drink or celebrate on holy days or Sabbaths. Colossians 2:16 – So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.
What does the Truth say about our body?
- IT IS THE TEMPLE OF GOD’S HOLY SPIRIT. WE ARE TO GIVE GOD GLORY WITH IT. 1 Corinthians 6:17-20 – But he who is joined to the Lord is one spirit with Him. Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. 19 Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body[a] and in your spirit, which are God’s.
- I will grow into the knowledge I need to make my Body the Spirit’s holy temple
- 1 Peter 2:2-3 – Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk, so that by it you may grow up in your salvation, now that you have tasted that the Lord is good.
- Philippians 1:6 – Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.
- 1 Corinthians 13:11 - When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
- 1 Corinthians 14:20 – Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men.
- Ephesians 3:16 That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man.”
- 2 Peter 3:17-18 -Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own steadfastness. But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen.
As we surrender different parts of our life, sanctification continues. What are some ways we are sanctified?
- Through God’s truth – John 1:17 – Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.
- THROUGH THE HOLY SPIRIT – 2 Thessalonians 2:13 Stand Fast But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth.
- Gaining wisdom from good teaching – Titus 3:1-7 – Remind them to be subject to rulers and authorities, to obey, to be ready for every good work, to speak evil of no one, to be peaceable, gentle, showing all humility to all men. For we ourselves were also once foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving various lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful and hating one another. But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to His mercy He saved us, through the washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Savior, that having been justified by His grace we should become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.
Eating God’s goodness for health and wellbeing – Rules to EAT by:
- Eat as close to nature as possible. If you can’t understand the ingredients, don’t eat it!
- When Man messes with God’s food, he messes it up!
- Antibiotics in our meat
- processed boxed/canned foods
- hormones in our milk
- Genetically Modified Foods.
- But what if I can’t afford organic or non GMO foods? – Romans 8:28 – And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Matthew 6:25-34 Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
- STRESS causes diseases such as mental illness, depression, heart issues, some cancers, obesity, etc.
- Learn to control your thought life to control the stresses in your life! – Philippians 4:8– Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
- Replace bad thinking with good thinking. Trade lies for truth in your life! Find a scripture that fits the battle and replace it. Quote it over and over. Memorize it! Hide these scriptures in your heart. You will become whatever you put into your mind! Romans 1:24-26 Therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sexual impurity for the degrading of their bodies with one another. 25 They exchanged the truth about God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen. Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones.
- Food plays into so many of todays health issues because of the way we are feeding our society and because of changing our food:
- Food intolerance: Cause a whole host of issues for many children and adults. From chronic sinus infections, ear infections, throat infections, delayed mental and physical development, arthritis, depression, altered moods, ADHD, OCD, gastrointestinal issues, acid reflux, diabetes, obesity
- What you diet should consist of:
- Feed on God’s Word daily! For strength and nourishment – Good thinking! TRUTH
- Put good thoughts into your mind and into the mind of your children. Watch the content of TV, Radio, Internet, and Gaming ladies. What messages are being sent to them?
- Relay positive messages to your children about themselves. No negative labeling.
- Get plenty of vegetables – Cleanses the liver, cancer prevention,cleanses the body!
- Eat plenty of fresh fruit – So many antioxidants/Vitamins
- Eat lean meats that are as clean as possible – Good for the brain
- Eat sprouted or whole grains – Rice and Quinoa, Amaranth, Oats,
- Healthy Fats and Oils – Avocado, coconut oil, olive oil – Good Fat!
- Lots of fish – EFA’s are wonderful for you!
- AVOID – High Fructose Corn Syrup! Avoid hydrogenated oils, White flour products, Unclean meats,
- Encourage Active Activity: Search and replace the lonely, bored, stressed, child who is filling their lives with fast food, TV, Gaming, Texting and riding in the car with….. books, family game night, dinner around the table, outdoors activities with the family such as a nightly walk, riding bikes together, basketball at the family gym, or on the driveway, or in the garage if it’s cold. It takes time and attention, but it’s worth it.
- Pre-prepared food Foods that are healthy for your children that you can find at your local grocer are:
- Milk Alternatives: Coconut milk, Almond milk, Goats Milk for babies!
- Soups – Imagine brand Soups (They have a great creamy mushroom for all those recipes and a creamy potato)
- Alternative Flours – Bob Mill brand Flours/ Baking Mixes
- Snack Bars – Laura brand Bars, Kind brand Bars, Kind brand Snacks
- Chicken Nuggets and Fish Sticks – Ians brand Frozen Foods
- Ice Cream – Coconut ice cream, Yogurt Ice Cream, Organic Ice Cream